I spent this morning in briefings welcoming our class to CA. We had briefings from many people including housing, medical, safety, and many others. Some of it was pretty good and I learned some stuff. Overall, it was well done.
I did learn a few things about the our housing and the local area. I was already aware our base house doesn't have central A/C, which should be pretty interesting this summer. We have something called "swamp coolers" instead. I'm not sure how these will work when it's 110+ degrees this summer, but they say they cool the house down to about 20 degrees cooler than what it is outside. So as I'm listening, I did a mental calculation that if it's a 110+ day, that would bring the inside temperature of my house to about 90. Hmmm....I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing a window unit (or 5) so I can live in my house comfortably this summer.
I also knew that we have a colorful array of wildlife here in the desert. I was aware of the desert tortoise, coyotes, jack rabbits, black widows, rattlesnakes, bobcats, and the highly venomous Mojave Green snake. (Anyone ever watch episodes of Venom ER on TLC???? I wish now, I wouldn't have) But I digress...(sorry) What I didn't know is that unlike most snakes, the Mojave Green is an aggressive snake and will come after you instead of trying to get away from you. Apparently the old "they are more scared of you than you are of them" doesn't apply here.
Have you ever seen the movie, "The Right Stuff?" If you have, you've seen the housing we live in. (Yes, same housing from the 50's) We have been told that there is asbestos in the housing in the walls, under the flooring, and in the paint. The good news is as long as you don't eat paint chips, tear up your floor or walls it shouldn't be a problem.
I learned a lot today.
9 comments:
Swamp coolers really do a good job of cooling down the California desert. You'll be surprised.
Please don't eat the paint chips.
I guess in order to survive you are going to have to learn how to be meaner than a snake.
Dad
Sue,
I hope I am pleasantly surprised!!!
90 still sounds extremely warm.
I'll keep you posted.
I suppose as the mom you have to know these things. Sometimes I wish I didn't know so much.
How long is your stay there?
At least until December of this year. And possibly another 3-4 years after that if our first assignment is here. Florida is another possiblity. And I have to say, Fort Walton Beach is sounding really good about now.
These kind of advenutures will make great family stories later. I think that traveling around with my family would be fun but I would hate having to leave friends behind with that kind of frequency.
Glad to have you back on the air! Watch out for those critters.
BE CAREFULL! but have fun .. Good thing that it is winter!!! hahaha
Oscar started classes today @ golden Halo and hasnt moved since we got home 3 hours ago!
Artkamps
She will make you master that dog even if it kills you! Keep me posted on how he's doing. I hope you like her classes.
Good luck!
Tracy
Post a Comment