Tuesday, February 28, 2012

To Knit or Purl

I started my knitting class yesterday. Knitting is hard!  You've got to hold the needles correctly, stick the needle in the right hole, in the right direction, wrap the yard around in the right direction then then push off the thing you just did.  SHEESH!  It's a lot to keep straight. I  took me almost the entire 2 hours to learn to "knit" (apparently this is the stitch name) and then I was taught the purl stitch. The purl stitch was much easier to learn for me.  It just made more sense.  Here's how the conversation went?

Instructor:  OK, so the purl stitch is backward from the knit stitch.

Me: HUH?

Instructor: (shows me how to do it a few times)

Me: (I duplicate it a few times without any major buffuneray unlike my attempt at the knit stitch)
This is way easier than the knit stitch.

Instructor: (Looking at my purl stitches)  Oh, you did a nice job.  That is strange that the purl stitch is easier for you because for most people that is the harder one to learn.

Me: Well, that sounds like me  .. strange and backward. 

Next week we learn to cast on...

I have no idea how I am even going to begin to knit a SWEATER for crying out loud. I can't begin this is the beginner class project.  I am not giving up. I am going to get this knitting thing if it kills me.  I wish my grandmother were still alive.  I don't think she knitted but she crocheted countless blankets that we have all over the house.  I wish she was here so I could talk with her about my knitting class. 

Any knitters out there?  Suggestions?

2 comments:

Mom said...

I don't knit. I once tried to knit a baby blanket, but my stitches kept getting tighter and tighter, and the muscles in my neck got tighter and tighter, and I go frustrated and mad and mean. My beloved husband requested I put my knitting needles down and never pick them again. I was a good submissive wife and obeyed that suggestion.
Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

I can knit pick. Does that count?

Dad