Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What You Know First

One of my favorite children's books is a book entitled "What You Know First" by Patricia MacLachan. It was read to me the first time when I was a young adult by somebody I loved, and still love very much.  I won't ruin the story for you but my favorite part in the book is the page that says: 

"What you know first stays with you, my Papa says."
Today the kids and I traveled to Maryland. I was born and raised in Maryland.  Maryland is what I knew first.

Unfortunately, my main reason for traveling to Maryland today was to remember someone from my childhood that had recently passed away.  Uncle Ronnie, my best friend's Uncle, passed away last week. Jen, my best friend, lived right next door to me growing up.  Jen lived with her Dad, brother, Aunt, Uncle, and 3 cousins.  When they first moved in Jennifer wanted NOTHING to do with me. She had a best friend from her old neighborhood and did not need any other friends.  But, I eventually grew on her I guess.  Because as years passed, we became the best of friends and still are to this day.  I spent many an hour and day over at her house and she spent equally as much time at mine.  Her family loved me and treated me as one of their own kids just as my parents treated Jen like she was one of theirs. Even though it was a sad occasion, it was great seeing them and catching up with a few of them today.

Another thing that I knew first  was my church family.  My church wasn't huge, but it wasn't tiny either. It was small enough that I knew every one's name and they knew mine. (And not always for necessarily good reasons did they know mine)  I had many "mothers" at that church.  They nurtured me, shared their faith with me, and taught me about God. One of the many families that had such an impact on me was able to meet the kids and I today for lunch. Sue was not only one of my church mothers but also a nurse in my pediatrician's office when I was a child.  I am reminded every time I see her that I did NOT like having to get shots in my back side.  (Oh, the stories she could tell about me!)  My friend Rachel's mom was able to come, too!  She brought wedding photos of Rachel's youngest sister's wedding. I was so glad she brought it. It was fun pouring over photos of the family and seeing everyone again. We spent 3 fabulous hours talking and catching up. "How are your parents and sister?," she asked.  Then I shot back, "How is so and so and what are they doing?"  It was a wonderful afternoon.

I think the reason that book is one of my favorites is because I think what you know first, does stay with you. For better or worse, it helps shape you.  Today I was reminded what I knew first was filled with much extended family and love. For that I am thankful.

Sue, Dennis, Ann, Gary, Laurel, and Dot thanks so much for taking time to have lunch and catch up today.   Jen and family, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Mom said...

what a sweet post. It was so good to see you and the kids and to have time to really visit for a while.

Malia said...

Love this. Made me a little teary, too. (In a nice way.)