Friday, January 29, 2010

Homework

One of my good friends is struggling with the amount of homework her 3rd grader is being given each night. It is taking them between 1 1/2 - 2 hours (or more) each night to do homework.

So, give me some feedback.. Is this normal? I know of a few teachers who read my blog so please weigh in with your profession and personal thoughts on the subject. My friend's sanity is on the line!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Hello,

I'd say 1/2hour-1 hour is normal....2 hours seems like a long time for a 3rd grader....

have a great weekend!!

just me said...

short of high school, 2 hours is ridiculous! IMHO, elementary students shouldn't have more than 1/2 hour per night.

AM Kingsfield said...

I say, if you can't finish it in two half hour attempts, send in a note and say it is too much. Some teachers don't realize how much time it takes. Homework is supposed to be a reinforcement and an indicator to parents of what's being taught. Two hours is unreasonable. I would refuse it on a regular basis. If it is the occasional result of procrastination, that's another subject.

Jamie said...

Zach is in Third Grade here and homework consists of 30 mins of reading every night and about 15 mins tops of other subjects... also included is studying for tests etc... but I would say no more than 45 mins to 1 hour.. boo!! As a teacher I tried to limit the amount of "busy" homework!!