Wednesday, January 23, 2008

2008

Happy New Year. I've heard from many people that they've missed my posts. Sorry to disappoint. After graduation, I have completely enjoyed spending every minute with Scott and the kids. It has been great. We've had a lot of catching up to do.

For Christmas, we drove to Texas and spent a week with my parents and grandparents. It was a fast trip but we had a good time.

The first weekend in January, Scott and I went to Laguna Beach for a romantic weekend without the kiddos. A huge thank you to the Brandts for taking the kids for us. It was awesome.

Last Tuesday I got a call from my best friend, Jennifer. We lived next door to each other growing up. I've known her since I was 9 years old. She called to tell me her Grandma had died. In the past 2 years she's lost her grandpa, her father, and her Grandma. Her Grandma practically raised her so this was by far the hardest for her I think. On Friday, I headed back to Maryland for her Grandma's funeral and came back home on Sunday night. It was a very fast and furious (jet lag included) trip. It was good to see her all of her Aunts, Uncles, and cousins and their families too. I'm glad I was able to go. I love you, Jen.

Going back to Maryland is like going "home." Even though I haven't lived there in almost 20 years, it always feels like "home." It's comfortable, familiar... like an old cozy worn out sweatshirt. It just feels right. There are places in Maryland that are sacred and holy places to me... places that have significance of my childhood and memories of growing up. Things have changed a lot in 20 years where I use to live but certain places are still sacred to me. It's always good to "home."

With all that said, I wouldn't want to go back and live in Maryland or raise my family there. It's just not the same. But then I've found that when you "go back" it's never the same. The way you remember it is always better then it later becomes. Know what I mean?

5 comments:

julie said...

hey sweet friend, I am so glad that you have been enjoying life with Scott and your family. I know what you mean about it feeling like home. I feel that way about it but I don't see us ever moving back there.

Mom said...

For those of us who still live here it is still home, but much has changed. Wish we could have seen you and given you a hug while you were here. You are part of our memories of what used to home here. Love you.
Sue

Tracy said...

I wish so too. I thought of you. We spent Saturday afternoon after the funeral at my friend's Aunt's house. She lives on the main drag (won't say the name) by City Hall.

Love you too.

Sarah Tunick Nall said...

I agree. After leaving for college it seemed different. It is even more so after having lived away, out of college, working for almost 4 years now. It is good to visit and will always be home. I definitely miss it now!!
I have grown up, surprise!! I am 25 now. I feel old at times!
Your family is beautiful!! Tell your parents I said hello!

AM Kingsfield said...

Military life seems so hard with all the moving. I'm glad you grew up here.