OK, so a few weeks ago I shared Connor's strep throat escapades with you. This past Sunday, he woke up complaining that his chest and his throat hurt. He has a fever too. So, I took him to Tehachapi this time (37 miles NW) to the ER. They did chest X-Rays and they were clear. The ER Doc took one look at his throat and said, "He's got strep," to which I replied, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? We just got strep throat twice in the last month." He said he was going to get a dose of antibiotics. I said, "Aren't you going to do a rapid strep on him?" (After all I'm practically a pro at going on the weekend to urgent care facilities in Southern California and dealing with strep) He said, "Oh, I guess I could but I'm pretty sure that's what it is." So they did the rapid strep and it came back negative. But, he prescribed him penicillin anyway for a diagnosis of "bronchitis."
So on Monday we wake up and Connor's fever is 105.7 and he is really sick. I got him in to our Peds Dr. and the Dr. thinks Connor is resistant to penicillin. So he does a rapid strep and a culture that will take a few days to get the results back for. The rapid once again comes back negative. He tells us to stop taking penicillin and switches us to another antibiotic. Connor was home from school until Thursday. I sent him back on Thursday and when I picked him up, he had tears running down his face and snot pouring from his nose. GREAT! Allergies. So, I came home and dosed him with benadryl and put him to bed. He looked miserable.
Today, Jessica wakes up with a fever of 102, sore throat, headache, blah blah blah. I took her in to see our Peds. Connor is with us of course, because he's coughing his head off and can't go to school today (again). So, he walks in and says, "Hi." Looks around at all of us says, "Well, Connor's strep results came back positive." Then he looks at Jessica and asks, "Sore Throat?" So, Jessica is now on antibiotics for strep throat.
Since this is the 3rd time Connor has had strep in a month, he is referring us to an ENT to discuss Connor's giftedness in being able to contract Strep Throat in such rapid succession.
Calgon... take me away!
3 comments:
Ain't motherhood grand!
My son has had chronic sinus issues. Hopefully your ENT will be successful, but he may require out patient surgery like adnoidetomy. My son had that + ear tubes 4 times and he still has sinuses like a magnet for viruses.
Our sons share the same "giftedness."
Sorry for you all. It sucks.
I'm sorry for anyone who has to experience this. Of course, as a mom is sucks having to deal with the sick and the Dr.'s, but I guess it's even worse for Connor having to feel bad so often. I'll be interested to see what the ENT says. I hope she can give some insight and some help.
Post a Comment