Saturday, January 27, 2007

Round 3

Poor Connor!
So after 2 days of throwing up the second antibiotic, I called the Dr. back again on Thursday and said, "What good is the antibiotic doing if he won't stop throwing it up?" So he says the only thing left to do was to give him a shot. He said if he couldn't keep down the antibiotic then that was all that was left to do. So, off we go to the clinic to get a shot. I didn't tell him why we were going until we got in the room. He wasn't happy.

So the nurse comes in with the shot and mouths to me so Connor couldn't see, "This is going to hurt." I said, "Like a Tetanus?" And she said, "Worse." Great. So I'm thinking that's a bummer but it will be over in a minute and then he'll feel better.
So, we get him on his belly and she pinches some skin and then inserts the needle. Connor is squeezing my hand, crying and freaking out to begin with. Then she goes to inject it and the syringe breaks! Apparently the stuff is so "thick" that the part of the syringe that holds the medicine broke off from the needle. I look up and the medicine is all over his butt and there's a needle sticking up out of it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He's screaming, "It hurts, it hurts." So they take the needle out and she goes to get another needle. Which of course, takes 15 minutes because she has to walk to the other end of the clinic to get it. Meantime, Connor is ready to leave. He's crying telling me he wants to go home and doesn't want to get a shot. So she comes back in and puts the second shot in. This time I watched because I wanted to make sure all went well. Whatever this stuff was is so thick she had trouble pushing it through the needle. It took probably 15 seconds (which seems like an eternity when you've got a needle sticking you) before she finally got it all in.

They say this will take care of it and he'll get well. I sure hope so.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Bless your heart. Hope he is better after all that.

Malia said...

Oh my! The shot really should do the trick but I know that was awful going through all that! Here's hoping and praying that he gets better and stays better!

Tanya said...

Poor thing! Sounds like no fun for the both of you!! Hope he is finally feeling better.