This past Monday, Malia blogged about Braised Bok Choy. She included a video on how to prepare the bok choy, recipes, and even a photo of the finished masterpiece. It looked pretty good but I didn't see myself ever buying or cooking bok choy. UNTIL.. I picked up my produce today and had... you guessed it.. Bok Choy in my basket.
I used the same combination of the two recipes Malia used. I did make a few changes. I live in a home filled with carnivores. A meatless dish would have gone over like a lead balloon at my house. So, I added chicken and julienned some carrots. I also used 5X amount of ginger it called for (I really like ginger) but doubled all of the other spices/liquids because we usually like extra "sauce." Everybody really liked it. When I put in on the table Connor said, "MOM! This looks AWESOME!" Which, for Connor is a pretty big deal. Of course, it could have been the cashews. He loves cashews.
In any case, I got the thumbs up to cook it again.
Thank you, Malia, for inspiring me and for my providing a most excellent recipe for dinner tonight.
If any body local wants to try these recipes for your bok choy, check out Malia's blog. Oh, and I've got oyster sauce if you need some!
2 comments:
Your variations/additions sound great! I should have used more ginger than I did, so that was a good call on your part. And next time I do this, I want to used cashews (the peanuts were yummy but I love me some cashews, too!)
So happy to have provided inspiration for your bok choy! It's probably not something I would have ever purchased either if it hadn't been for our CSA.
Malia
I'd delighted you've joined the locavores, are supporting small farmers, and are increasing the biodiversity in your family's diet. I've had a hard time transitioning my mac&cheese-chicken-nugget family to healthier choices. Baby steps. This one looks delicious!
Post a Comment