Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What was I thinking????

So we're in town yesterday shopping at Joanne Fabric...
The conversation went something like this:

"OOH, Mommy. LOOK at this dress! It's so pretty," said Jessica.

"Yes, it is," I said.

"Mom, wouldn't that be a pretty Easter dress," said Jessica.

"Yes, it would," I said.

"Would you make it for me, Mom.... PLEASE?!"

I enjoy sewing for her, I really do. If I could just buy the pattern pieces already cut out, in her size, in the material I wanted. To skip the cutting out part would be fantastic. I could just skip right to assembly.

Any other sewers out there that feel my pain?

No to mention, it's expensive to sew! Patterns are like $15.99 a pattern (Simplicity patterns were on sale for 1.99 yesterday.. I REFUSE to pay $15.99 for a pattern... EVER). At one time I believe it really was cheaper to sew your own clothes. With patterns, materials and notions as expensive as they are, and when you add in the time it takes you to buy it, cut it out, and sew it, there's no way it's cheaper than just buying it already made of the rack.

But I don't sew for her (or myself) because it's cheaper. I do it because I enjoy doing it.


UPDATE: It's finished! I cut it out last night and put it together this afternoon.
The black walking cast completes the dress. :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooooo cute! My mom and sister can both sew. I refused to take sewing lessons as a teenager. Just wasn't my thing. My mom used to sew all her own clothes. I think it used to be cheaper! Miss y'all bunches!

Mom said...

I think you are amazing.

BrenOaks said...

It looks great! Pretty as a princess!! Now to make the matching American doll dress, right? :)

I feel your pain. I love to smock dresses, but again add in the time and cost and yes, I should just buy them. It's the process, the sense of achievement, hearing her say "My mommy made this", and the look in her eye when it's done.

AM Kingsfield said...

Beautiful! I'm impressed. I never sew. I barely reattach buttons.

But I was amused to see that a person that sews, a sewer, is a homograph for the storm drain.

Tracy said...

Since you pointed it out.. I am now also amused.

The Kreiders said...

Wow Tracy! You are amazing! The dress is beautiful! Sewing a button back on is a challenge for me! (if you can call that sewing! :-))

Tanya said...

Very impressive!!

Tricia said...

Tracy that dress is beautiful!!! I always cherished the dresses my mom made for me :)