
5 generation photo take in June 2004
Hazel Lurinda Gabriel Winter,(MeMaw Hazel) my great-grandmother passed away Friday at the age of 97. She was born on Feb 2, 1910 in Oklahoma. She married my great-grandfather, Charles on Feb. 27, 1925 at the age of 15 in Ardmoore OK. She was preceeded in death by her husband and one son, Chad.
Since I didn't grow up in Texas, we didn't get to see her very often. I do remember going to her home in rural OK when I was very young and having a great time. MeMaw made the best fried chicken you'd ever tasted. She always made enough food for an army when we'd come. I remember sitting out in the yard with all the adults while they visited and sat drinking tea. She was a fantastic gardner and had the most beautiful flowers. She had a whole corner of her yard packed with iris. They were gorgeous. My mom and grandmother would always dig up some of her bulbs to take home with them. Whenever I see an iris, I always think of Memaw.
She was a quiet, sweet, and meek lady who lived a quiet simple life. She was loved and will be missed.
6 comments:
My condolences for your loss. And I thank you for reminding me of my own grandmother who passed two years ago. These two women sound very similar. I remember the same things; large amounts of food, sitting in the yard, large hats for the sun, a very neat small house. Memories are great. Thanks again.
I am sorry.
She has left a great legacy.It sounds like hers was a life well lived.
I am sorry
How wonderful to have that photo! Looks like you come from a long line of love.
I'm sorry to hear aboput your loss. My own greatgrandma (Mumu) died several years ago and only wish I could have goten to know her better.
God must of needed a good gardnier so she was called.
We are so sorry to hear about your loss! You are all in our thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment