So, I've come to the realization that life is hard for a 8 year old 3rd grade girl. She has school assignments, homework, piano, AWANA, and friends to juggle. Now I have to admit, the friend problems she has gets on my nerves a bit. There's an awful lot of drama involved, too much for an 8 year old. (IMO) It's all so ridiculous and seems so trivial to me, but the thing is it's not trivial or ridiculous to her. And that's what matters.
So, I've decided to try and make a conscious effort to be a better listener and try not to be this out of touch mom who "doesn't understand," or see the "life crisis" that is unfolding before my very eyes. Sigh... it's not easy for me to do that. But, then again it's not easy for her either.
Since life is hard everywhere else, I'm going to try to make it not so hard in our house.
I'm going to try to be more relaxed and not so in her face all the time about stuff she needs to be doing. Don't misunderstand, I'm still going to be mom but hopefully a more understanding and patient one especially when a life crisis occurs.
Lord, and she's only 8.
3 comments:
I hear ya! The drama around here reaches a feverish pitch some days and she's only six (almost 7). What's it going to be like when they are teens??
But, I really liked your thoughts about being more understanding. I too, see all of her drama as "trivial" and so overrated. It would probably do wonders for her if I was better at acknowledging her feelings and letting her know that I care.
You're a good mom
I think it's important to create an oasis. If she can't unload on you, where will she turn? You are setting a good precedent by listening, even if it takes effort to keep a straight face.
Post a Comment